Frequently Asked Questions


Asked Questions

In this section you will find a number of frequently asked questions, answers and links to other useful resources.

Frequently asked questions

Q: I live in a bushfire zone and I’m not sure what happens if my house gets damaged in a bushfire. How do I know what my options are and if my policy is right for me?

A. There are quite a few things you need to know about home insurance that can make a big difference to how you recover after your house is damaged or destroyed in a bushfire.
For example, you need to be aware of your level of cover, the conditions of your policy, how your home contents are replaced, timescales involved and additional benefits.
As usual in life, it’s the details that are very important, so it is well worth taking a few moments to read your policy and become familiar with it.
The Bushfire Insurance Guide by the Insurance Law Service will help you understand some key elements of your insurance policy and what to look out for.

Q: I have solar panels and I'm worried about them getting damaged in a bushfire or hail storm. What I should if they get damaged and how do I prepare them if I know a storm or fire is coming?

A: According to the Clean Energy Council, if your solar system gets damaged it is best to not touch it until your installer has checked as it can be dangerous. If your installer cannot be contacted, you can find a Clean Energy Council accredited installer with this link.

If you know a storm or fire is coming your way you can shut down your solar system as a precaution. Your manual will have a shutdown procedure however, you can find an easy to follow guide here.

Q: I live uphill from a nearby park and have a large eucalypt 3 metres from my house. I’m concerned about the fire hazard this causes. Should this tree be removed?

A: The intensity of bushfires can be greatly lowered by reducing or removing the amount of bushfire fuel available. However, the reduction of fuel does not necessarily mean the removal of all vegetation. Trees, in particular, can provide you with some bushfire protection by slowing down and reducing strong winds, intense heat and flying embers. If you have one large tree it may be best to simply remove the branches overhanging your house.

It is important to note that most trees in City of Ryde are protected and permission will need to be sought before pruning or tree removal can occur. Some exceptions do apply. Please contact council for more information.

Q: I understand the reasons why it is difficult to do more frequent hazard reduction burns, so what can I do to protect my home?

A: Great question! There are many things you can do to protect your home from bushfires. One of the most useful strategies is to protect your home from ember attack. Research in Australia clearly shows ember attack is main cause homes destroyed during and immediately after a bushfire moves through an area (85% of all homes). Strong winds blow embers many hundreds of meters or even kilometers ahead of the fire front causing spot fires. Embers can be thick in the air in a large fire and can find their way into your roof cavity and house through the smallest of gaps like around windows, under doors or roof tiles for example.

Step 3 of the Ready Check tool has tips and information on how to protect your home from ember attack. If you have any other questions you can use the Ask a Local Expert button and submit your question.


Q: How would I know if my home insurance will cover the cost of rebuilding?

A: The rebuild cost depends on your Bushfire Attack Level (your BAL). If you are not sure what your BAL is you can check with City of Ryde or the Rural Fire Service.

Your ‘sum insured’ determines how much the insurer will pay towards a rebuild. Building costs are constantly increasing. Also, the higher your BAL, the more your building costs will be. This is because your home may need to be rebuilt to a higher standard. Talk to your insurer about what the right level of cover is for you. You can also use their online calculators to find out.

Check your product disclosure statement to see  And get covered early. There are limits on buying insurance once a fire has started. It is worth shopping around to get the right policy for you.

More information – Bushfire Insurance Guide


Q: Why does the government not provide fire hydrant in every property?

A: Fire hydrants are provided but they are not easy to see. In residential areas, there are fire hydrant points every 50-100 meters, they come in different sizes and designs. The most common cover or surface fitting is one with the letter ‘H’ on the top and may be coloured in yellow. They are not very noticeable and Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters are urging residents and businesses to find the water hydrant on the footpath and street closest to their home or place of work and check its condition. Click the link below for tips for how to make a hydrant near your home easier to find. This will help in case of a fire emergency.

NSW Fire and Rescue – Find your hydrant  and clearing hydrants

Q: How do I know what standard my house has to be built to if I am in a bush fire zone?

A: If your property is on fire prone land in NSW or in the buffer zone you will need to meet the requirements outlined in the Australian Standard AS 3959 Construction of buildings in bushfire-prone areas as well as Planning for bush fire protection Addendum Appendix 3. There are six construction levels in the Standard, based on the Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) of the property. They are BAL – Low (no specific construction requirements) BAL -12.5, BAL 19, BAL 29, BAL 40 and BAL – FZ (Flame Zone – the highest level of construction requirements). For more information see building construction and design and Planning for bush fire protection Addendum Appendix 3and on the Rural Fire Service website.

Q: What is the BAL rating based on?

A: The Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) is based on the type of vegetation, how close the proposed building is to the vegetation, the slope and the fire danger index. Each of these elements has been proven to affect the radiant heat a building is exposed to. The BAL rating to indicate level of risk was introduced in 2009 when the most recent version of Australian Standard AS3959 Construction of buildings in bushfire prone areas was issued.

Q: I have limited budget – what should I spend my money on?

A: Look for measures that have benefits for multiple hazards that you may be exposed to. For example, shutters on windows are effective for ember attack and reducing direct heat exposure in a bushfire; provide protection from debris during storms; and reduce heat entering the house during heatwaves. Other adaptations that have benefits against multiple hazards include rainwater tanks, landscaping (design and plant selection), backup power supply and fire retardant insulation. The cheapest measures are a multi-hazard plan (that everyone in the household knows), access to weather warnings and effective communication within your local neighbourhood.

Questions to be answered by our experts

Q: What is the best way to mount solar panels in bushfire prone areas? How do I stop embers burning them during an ember attack?

Yet to be answered. Come back soon.

Elderly people talking on a street

Ask a local expert

Get locally relevant answers from emergency managers.

Ready Check

Are you, your home and neighbourhood in the best shape to face extreme weather events? Take our Ready Check today

Become a community leader

Encourage those around you to be more prepared and increase their resilience.

Fast Fact...

Ember attack is the cause of 85% of homes lost in bush fires.

Climate wise communities

Climate Wise Communities is an award-winning initiative developed by Ku-ring-gai Council in consultation with emergency management agencies and government. It builds local community strength and preparedness to extreme weather events and promotes shared responsibility for disaster resilience to individuals, households and communities.

Climate Wise Communities. © City of Ryde 2024
Ask an expert
close slider

We can help

What would you like to know?

Side floating ask an expert

"*" indicates required fields