It takes time, planning and carefully considered investment decisions to build resilience to extreme weather events.
Every year Australian communities face devastating losses due to floods, bush fires, storms, heatwaves and other extreme weather events. They are becoming more frequent and severe.
It is not enough to start thinking about what you need to do a few weeks before summer. Your ability to respond calmly and make quick, crucial decisions will be much improved if you have invested the time and energy in a solid plan beforehand.
Climate Wise Communities will help you to build resilience to these events, supporting you to cope psychologically, minimise your losses and recover more quickly.
Are you ready?
Check whether you, your home and community are properly prepared to face extreme weather events.
Use steps 1-5 to assess your vulnerabilities and gather information to write your extreme weather plan.
hazards in your
Check your personal
Check the strengths and weaknesses of your property
neighbourhood and communication
Information for your extreme weather plan
Work with your community to ensure your home and family are protected.
Everyone has a shared responsibility to build resilience to extreme weather events.
- Federal and State government have emergency management plans
- The Local Emergency Management Committee has detailed action plans and response mechanisms for all emergencies
- Council has detailed emergency plans and resilience-building plans in place
- Every household needs to evaluate their own situation and develop a plan to improve resilience.
- Individuals are encouraged to download the Red Cross app ‘Get Prepared’. This will help you keep connected with loved ones in time of an emergency and ensure your personal well-being.
Ask an expert
Our local experts are able to help you
The Local Emergency Management Committee members and a range of industry experts are available to answer your questions. Check our FAQ section to find local solutions, tips and ideas for being prepared in your area.
Become a community leader
Encourage those around you to be more prepared and increase their resilience.
Frequently Asked Questions
Check our FAQ section to find local solutions, tips and ideas for being prepared in your area.
Ask a local expert
Get locally relevant answers from emergency managers.